Friday, January 14, 2011

The Living Room, The Piano & The Entertainer

Being born in '79 had its advantages. I was always the age of the year... so like 3yrs. old in 1983, etc. (until December of course).

My older brother Mike was in highschool around this time. He played piano quite a bit, and was very creative in both music and drawing. Once the braces came off, Mike came into his own. He was also really passionate about birds. (Aside from music, I could probably write an autobiography based on all the different pets we've had over the years.) Mike and my dad constructed a "bird room" downstairs with countless birds. He had a job briefly at this pet store that specialized in exotic birds. Who wouldn't dig that!?

Mike was a pianist, lead singer of their highschool band, drove a motorcycle (runs in the family), and had who I thought was the prettiest girl in the highschool. Mike wanted to be doctor, and whenever I had a stomach ache or something, he'd tell me he's going to be a doctor - and say what was wrong with me and I'd be better soon. Yet other times, he would say he's on the phone with the President (Reagan at the time) and that I needed to be quiet. Once I actually got to talk to the President! I'm pretty sure now it was really his buddy Brian. Brian is Mike's best friend, also a great drummer. He was the first person I ever saw (in person) dunk a basketball. The whole talking to the President bit was positive reinforcement and a great method for child control... much better than other kids who probably heard "if you don't shut up I'm going to drop you off at the orphanage!"

Our piano was pretty standard, but what I'd call nice. It was located in the corner of our formal living room that we pretty much only used for Christmas. The furniture in our living room (from the '70's) was hard and somewhat uncomfortable. Maybe because it was bought new and rarely used. There was framed artwork that looked like images of old Greek ruins, and gold wall-mounted candles with glass jewels hanging from them. Pretty much imagine your Great Grandma's living room or decor you could now find at a Good Will or Salvation army. In the 70's, this was fancy stuff. I remember there was a large gold duck on an end table, it looked like some sort of idol. The top of the duck came off to serve as some kind of ashtray. The shag carpet on the floor was an orange-ish red. The living room wasn't all that "happening" of a place in the house unless Mike was playing the piano.

When I was able to to walk and or run.... I would go into our living room and listen to Mike practice his piano. The bench seat on the piano opened, and all the sheet music was stored there... TONS of music sheets and music books. I remember looking at them in awe. It was like Mike knew some foreign language that nobody else could read, and instead of speaking it out loud, he played it on the piano! As a child, you see books... and if it's not all pictures, you get confused. Sitting on my Dad's lap at night while he read the newspaper was understandable because there were funnies, and other images. But sheet music? It was unrecognizable to a child as something one could read.

The fact that nobody else in the house touched the piano added to the mystique. At this time, I was under the assumption that Mike had single-handedly figured out how to decipher a secret code that isn't defined by images or words... or even colors for that matter. I could hand him a different sheet and he'd play a different song. When I touched the piano, it didn't make the same sound as it did when Mike did. Kids banging on a piano is utter chaos! To this day, I cannot officially read sheet music. I can make sense of A, D, etc. on the staff, but what key to hit on a piano? No clue!

The one song I remember him playing most was The Entertainer. I have vivid memories of that song among all others. There was a long coffee table in front of the couch. And I'm not sure if this was "every time" or just once... but I remember running as fast as I could around the coffee table while he played The Entertainer. Just running laps. I'm not sure if that's what I did instead of dancing, but I remember it was what I felt was most appropriate.

As the youngest in the family, I never realized if I bothered him, or invaded his personal/creative space. I know as a guitar player, privacy is at a premium when you're trying to compose something new or build playing skills. As an older sibling, there's also the dimension of your little brother's well being. If I cracked my head open while he was playing, would it have been his fault for not watching me? I'm unsure if these things were going through his head, and they are things I never had to deal with because I was the youngest. I'm not sure how I would deal with those situations, but Mike never seemed unwelcoming, annoyed, or frustrated with my presence... and that I'm truly thankful for.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEmu9qxfgEk

1 comment:

  1. Love your young "reading" of sheet music. Good for you for capturing that mystical sense children have that we try to hold onto (not always successfully either). Really enjoyed this!

    ReplyDelete