Friday, July 1, 2011

1984: The Cars!

The Cars - Heartbeat City



THE BAND

Where do I start with the Cars? Where they progressive?rock?punk?pop? They sort of looked like the Ramone's got facial transplants... but their songs crossed conventional boundaries. They had a hook that gets stuck in your head. When people say the 80's sucked, you can play them virtually ANY song from the Cars and tell them that they are full of bloody rubbish.

THE ALBUM

Almost every song on Heartbeat City was a hit. Hello Again was the opening track. Track 3, (uh-oh it's) Magic, was probably one of their biggest hits. Do want a ballad? Look no further than Drive. The lyrics "who's gonna drive ya home tonight?" just sticks in your head. Why Can't I have you isn't the best song on the album, but the music video is a total 80's music film cliche. So what did the Cars look like playing live? Does Miami Vice or Don Johnson mean anything to you? Haha... check out this live footage of Heartbeat City.

VIDEOS

The Cars videos were awesome! Where would VH1 be without videos by the Cars!? Their videos are the epitome of "classic." Very entertaining. What's really sad is that we'll probably never see new videos like this again.


RADIO

The takes me back to pop radio. 101.1 WIXX was the pop station in the greater Green Bay area. Remember when pop radio played rock? They played the Cars! The Cars could not only be found on the radio, but also up north!

Buzz's Bar played The Cars on the JukeBox. Usually a staple of country and older stuff; I first noticed Buzz's was playing newer stuff too when I heard the Cars. Buzz's bar was our main hang-out up north. It had glass bottles of Coke! The pinball machine cost only a dime and it was some sort of bowling pinpall game. The foosball table only cost a quarter. My brother Mike was, is, and always will be the Foosball king. Think I'm kidding? Challenge him!

Fast Forward to September 25th,1996: Lori Sprangers' 17 birthday Party.

The closest person that lived to me (that was my age) was Lori Sprangers. In Darboy terms, that means across the cornfield. Although we didn't officially meet until high school, we became part of the same click. Where we didn't see each other that much was with her involvement in band, and my involvement in football. One thing I remember about being friends with Lori was that her locker was a in specific hallway of the school that was only for band kids. Although "band" had their own click, I stopped by her locker to chat, but it was usually met with some weird looks from band kids. HA. Although she was gifted violinist & choir singer, I believe Lori served as band leader senior year.

For Lori's 17th birthday, she was having a party. They had just re-zoned all the cornfields for houses. I think duplexes were starting to go in. So when my street used to be 45mph, they lowered it to 35 and then 25mph! This made me furious, but I was constantly aware of this little water pump house that a police car was usually perched taking radar.

On this particular occasion, I noticed the cop car on the way to Lori's party. The cop started to follow me. I knew I wasn't speeding, so I wasn't nervous. Once I parked my car on the side of the road, the cop parked behind me and put his lights on! I couldn't believe it. I rolled down my window and asked "why did you pull me over?" He said "stay in the car." He proceed to walk up to the house and knock on the door. I think maybe he thought he was busting a high school beer party. Little did he know everyone in my particular group were pretty much squares until after graduation. Lori's parents answered the door. Sent him packing. I asked "can I get out of my car now?" He responded "no, park your car on the driveway or on the lawn, all these cars on the side of the road are unsafe." Whatever.

Lori's parents had a bunch of vinyl. Going through them, we saw a few Cars albums. I vividly remember jamming out to some Cars at Lori's birthday party and telling everyone about how the cop followed me to the house for no reason whatsoever.

2 comments:

  1. You might think I'm crazy....

    I totally remember listening to The Cars at Buzz's.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lori (Sprangers) DoyleJuly 1, 2011 at 11:40 AM

    I STILL listen to The Car's and think of my parent's house. That was the strangest party ever - cops busting a bunch of kids for drinking pepsi and eating doritos. Thanks for the memories!!

    ReplyDelete